[extropy-chat] Intelligence of Leaders

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Thu Nov 9 19:55:19 UTC 2006

> But many people still can't read at all.  I hate sending people to
> my blog over and over, but I wrote a blog called "Sisyphus in Mississippi" about an
> amazing article in the LA Times on Ronnie Wise, the retiring chief librarian of
> Bolivar County, Mississippi and the staggering illiteracy rates he has battled for
> decades.  It will blow your mind, especially if you assume at least a base level of
> education is accomplished in the US.  It's a wonderful piece (the article, that
> is!).  I also ask a number of questions about the roll of literacy and future
> technology in this blog.

I would very much like to read this. Where is it?

Sure there are illiterate folks in the US, that's why I put "everybody" in quotes...
 ;)  In my childhood I knew an illiterate man (native US citizen) who could not
write his name, had jobs and drove cars, fixed farm machinery, and had an ordinary
IQ and life and family, but reading was something either he'd never been taught or
never mastered, I don't know which.  It was not a case of dyslexia, AFAIK, it was
simply not learned. Never seemed to bother him.

I cannot imagine being/staying illiterate.

Regards,
MB