[extropy-chat] School libraries and skiffy

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Nov 10 05:28:38 UTC 2006

At 12:08 AM 11/10/2006 -0500, Ben G wrote:

>When I pointed out to my son some of the gems among older SF novels
>(Lem, Dick, Williamson, Clarke, etc.), he read and enjoyed them.

Williamson? Really? Which?

Writers I liked as a kid whom I can't read any longer would include,
say, Cliff Simak and Asimov. Sheckley's brilliance has been overtaken
by time and stylistics, and all the filching by Douglas Adams. But
crazy, dream-struck van Vogt still works, even if I have to grit my
teeth. I wonder if a kid today could bear to read SLAN or the Weapon
Shops books? I imagine Alfie Bester might still strike a spark or
three, again making allowance for the last 50 years of lifestyle
change. Sturgeon's still very readable, at his best.

Damien Broderick