[extropy-chat] Detectives and red herrings (was Survivaltangent)

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Nov 10 07:42:12 UTC 2006

Mike writes

> [Lee wrote]
> > It's absolutely mandatory from my perspective that things
> > supposed to be Myself have my *memories*  [in order to
> > be me].  The values and beliefs are definitely secondary,
> > though important, in my opinion.

> If you lose memories, do you lose your self?

Yes.

> If as you age, you release your childhood attachments - even to
> the point where that which is traditionally referred to as wisdom
> prevails and you come to stop caring about others' definitions of
> PI because they have no bearing on your own - and that you have
> stated your own beliefs as clearly as can ever be expressed by
> language - is there a point where you turn away from the group
> and strive for a transcendent perspective?

You ask, "Is there a point where you can turn away from the
group and strive for a transcendent perspective?"  Sure there
is.  People strive for all sorts of things, and I'm glad they do.

What is at issue here is whether or not they remain the same
person. If they don't retain the same memories, they gradually
change into someone else.  Suppose that this kept happening
to you for 500 years, so that there was no longer *any*
overlap.  Say you even speak French by then, instead of your
native language. PROVIDED WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN
SOULS AND HAVE DESTROYED EVERY LAST VESTIGE
OF SUCH BELIEF, THEN WE MUST CONCLUDE THAT
YOU HAVE BECOME SOMEONE ELSE.  Sorry my caps
key got stuck  there for a minute.

If you and I gradually over the years slowly become more and more
advanced, but somehow we both manage to remember Lee Corbin's
childhood, teenage years, fascination with chess, the close game with
David Bronstein in a simul, the years writing under the name "Lee
Corbin" on the Fabric of Reality list, and so on and on, then you are
dead, and there are *two* Lee Corbins.  Surely, if you value your
survival, you do not want this to happen.  Keep your own memories,
stay alive!

Lee