[extropy-chat] School libraries and skiffy

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 11 00:12:24 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Keith Henson
>
> While science fiction fandom is not the same as science fiction readers,
> fandom has been aging only a bit less than a year/year. Keith

I did notice that, thought I might be just imagining it.  On a business trip
in Huntsville about 8 years ago, went to a Star Trek schmooze across the
street from the hotel.  Most of the Trekkies were 40ish and older.

> PS  One thing I didn't mention is the shear number of kids who were armed
> in my high school.  In those days nobody thought a thing about knives...

Second that.  We didn't really think of them as weapons.  A lot of students
carried them, no one ever told us we weren't supposed to have them.

> ...Especially
> during deer season, virtually all the guys who had pickup trucks had a gun
> rack with a rifle in it...

Again, we didn't actually think of them as weapons, but more as cultural
identifiers, or a decoration for the back window of our trucks.  Certainly
they could have been used as weapons, but I never heard of students shooting
or knifing each other back in the 70s.