[extropy-chat] Survival (was Agency...)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 09:58:55 UTC 2006

On 11/11/06, Heartland wrote:
> I have an even better example. People with dissociative fugue are known to suddenly
> forget some or all their past, including who they are, yet their minds continue to
> exist and function. Somehow, they continue to live in absence of personal memories.
> I count that as strong evidence (actually a proof) that maintaining the same
> personal memories is not necessarily required for someone to live.
>
> *This* instance of mind would rather suffer from dissociative fugue than die.

Yes, I'm sure you would. But that example is a very selective memory loss.

'Dissociative Fugue' is usually caused by an overwhelming stress
situation where people want to 'get away from it all'.
Quote:
"A person in a Dissociative Fugue adopts a new identity after leaving
their previous living arrangements and forgetting or being confused
about their previous identity. They are able to perform well enough to
survive under the new identity. These episodes are generally are
caused by a severe stressor and are time limited to a few days, but
may last up to months. When the fugue ends, the person is unable to
recall what occurred during this state."

This is like 'acting' or 'pretending to be someone else' (but for
real) for a period of time. A bit similar to how under hypnosis you
can be instructed not see something and your brain refuses to allow
your consciousness to 'see' it. Mental problems aside, it is not that
unusual for people to get really fed up with their circumstances
(problems, debts, etc.) and run away to start a new life, with a new
job, new friends and new hobbies. They still remember their past life,
they just want to get rid of all the problems.

Selective or partial memory loss is not usually a terminal problem.
The human brain is good at workarounds so life can continue. But as
more and more of the memory fails, more and more of the 'person' dies.

When memory failure becomes severe you are unable to survive without
help. As well as forgetting past events and people, you cannot even
remember the meaning of words. You have difficulty reading or speaking
or understanding. You forget how to tie your shoelaces or brush your
teeth. Eventually you even forget to eat regularly.

Total memory failure is the end of a mind. Memory really is essential
to survival.

BillK