[extropy-chat] Agency as Prime Determinant of Personal Identity

Heartland velvethum at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 12 15:33:14 UTC 2006

Robert,

My previous post was supposed to serve as my final statement in this debate, but
since
you've shown interest in my challenge let me add few more words.

Robert:
> It never hurts to reexamine these things in light of progress in
> genetics, neuroscience, preservation methods, etc. but I'm not sure I see
> that being done here.

Some views need to be reexamined simply because their logic is flawed. That is what
this challenge is designed to expose.

Robert:
> I looked at the message cited above and didn't see anything there making it
> clear to me what "life" is.  I also realize that there there are people who
> believe it to be something other than what I believe it to be (an organized
> and *potentially* functioning set of information).

I realize that patternists could conveniently "fix" their definition of life in
such a way as to avoid the consequences of this challenge. Obviously, I'm not
interested in the arguments that assume whatever they need to prove. This can
*only* work with a non-arbitrary definition of life.

Robert:
> So, Slawomir, if you are willing to provide a statement "Life is ______"
> (fill in the blank) I'll be happy to consider it.  Otherwise I think this
> discussion has been about "I believe life is ______".

Life is a mind process. Even though I consider this to be a safe and non-arbitrary
definition I fear that patternists might still find some reason to deny this.
Proceed only if you can accept this definition (even "life is a process" will do).
Otherwise your effort will just go to waste.

Slawomir