[extropy-chat] Panspermia lives, maybe

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 18:41:59 UTC 2006

On 11/14/06, Brian Atkins <brian at posthuman.com> wrote:

> The "red rain" is just normal algae or fungus spores. I blame New
> Scientist for bringing this back from the dead earlier this year.

I'd just add that if there were a cache of dried up Deinococcus
radioduranssomeplace on the planet and a wind were to loft them into
the air at the
same time rain was falling one could well get "red rain".  But I've never
heard of anyone finding that much Deinococcus in one place (though desert
sands might be a good place to look since the radiation resistance goes hand
in hand with dessication resistance).

Robert