[extropy-chat] ART: trompe l'oeil

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Wed Nov 15 22:38:54 UTC 2006

scerir wrote:
> http://www.hemmy.net/2006/10/03/elevator-floor-illusion/

:-) I had the chance to visit Palazzo Arese-Borromeo in Milano for a
conference, and there were trompe l'oeil everywhere, some of it quite
good. I especially like the virtual sculptures.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87547772@N00/237214284/in/set-72157594200934564/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87547772@N00/237214282/in/set-72157594200934564/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87547772@N00/237214280/in/set-72157594200934564/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87547772@N00/237214278/in/set-72157594200934564/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87547772@N00/237214275/in/set-72157594200934564/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87547772@N00/237224812/in/set-72157594200934564/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87547772@N00/237224811/in/set-72157594200934564/

One thing the elevator picture does is to work both from the side and when
standing on top of it (if the pictures are true). I wonder how one should
go about painting that, since it is not just a matter of true perspective
but making affordances in the picture so that it works from several
angles. Any ideas of what goes into good trompe l'oeil?

And what kind of trompe l'oeil++ can we do for posthuman eyes using smart
materials?

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics