[extropy-chat] Human enhancement: what would you improve?

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Fri Nov 17 10:52:38 UTC 2006

Damien Broderick wrote:
> hmmm
>
> http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/851

"Last one to become a monolith is a lump of protoplasm!" I'm with Eugene
on this, although I'd like to keep a nicely conditioned monkey body for
festive occasions.

I have actually been thinking of doing a semiserious survey of this
question for my project (but likely limited to cognitive enhancement).
Online surveys are horribly biased but easy to do and at least give you
data "from out there" to talk about (unlike a lot of bioethics). So if I
were to go ahead with that, what kind of questions would you think were
useful or would produce interesting data?

One fun game we played at the Beijing bioethics congress was choosing
between enhancements and traits: would you want enhanced charisma more
than enhanced attention? Would you trade 5 years of life for 50 IQ points?
And so on. I'm a bit uncertain whether this kind of comparisions could
actually give us a good ranking (since I have no doubt there might be a
few cycles), but it might tell us a bit about local priorities.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics