[extropy-chat] 'a process of non-thinking called faith' 2 (2)

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Nov 19 03:55:56 UTC 2006

Keith earlier wrote

> Under non stressed circumstances the ability to think rationally is an
> asset.  But at times, when facing starvation and the need to make war on
> neighbors, the interest of the individual and his genes diverge (because of
> copies in relatives).

It is generally true that although there is a great overlap, the
interests of an individual and the interests of his genes do
diverge---but this is true whether or not times are tough.
I heartily recommend Stanovich's "The Robot's Rebellion".

> Under such circumstances gene constructed mental
> mechanisms switch off rational thinking and lead to
> attacks (like the Rwanda genocide).

Please explain why the Rwanda genocide is irrational:
It serves the interests not only of the genes of one tribe,
but also the interests of the individuals of that group.

Lee