[extropy-chat] Primates dreams and posthuman futures

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Mon Nov 20 05:12:49 UTC 2006

I still feel my buttons getting pushed--even with years of exposure to
the diversity of opinions and viewpoints on this list--when someone
starts talking about posthuman futures, all the while juxtaposing their
current self-image with future ecologies (or perhaps "economies" might
be the better word) that would eat them up in an instant, if in fact
they merited even that much attention.

Of course, getting one's buttons pushed is the point of this discussion,
for we define ourselves in terms of what sets us off, and gets us off,
in our relationships to society and our environment.  But is it a
failure of imagination, or rather a resounding success of
self-assurance, that the worlds we imagine always seem to contain a
version of the Self we know and love?

Don't worry...

You will NOT be assimilated.

Who would assimilate you, let alone want to employ you, or even interact
with you, in a world where the pace of production is thousands (or
millions) of times faster than today?  Lizbeth and I went to the zoo
yesterday, and I was repeatedly struck by how every animal species
demonstrated its competitive traits--territoriality and domination at
every level--and how every instance of cooperation is (in the bigger
picture) a more effective means of competition within a hostile
coevolutionary environment. Of course, all the people at the zoo are
quite contentedly aware that humans and animals aren't really
comparable, I mean, look at who's caged and then who's actually free to
enjoy life...

So when transhumanists dream of fantastic futures, with "highly
advanced" lifestyles including a multitude of novel sexual modes,
unimagined sensory feasts, and amazing feats of physical and mental
prowess (for peaceful purposes only, of course), they might do well to
consider a nice out of the way space or undersea community, or perhaps a
virtual reality simulation providing all the comforts of their native
habitat while remaining relatively safe from predators.

The good news is that the long tail of the accelerating technological
growth curve may provide plenty of niches for entities such as ourselves
to enjoy those aspects of life that deep down we know make it truly
worth living.

The only alternative would be to lose ourselves in change, abandoning
all dignity and respect much as certain lowly larva unthinkingly give up
everything that matters to them, for their transformation to a
butterfly.

- Jef