[extropy-chat] 'a process of non-thinking called faith' 2

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Tue Nov 21 00:17:40 UTC 2006

>>ben wrote:
>>

>>>If we cannot make good judgements now, how can we be expected to make
>>>them in the future?
>>>

>>Robert Bradbury said:
>>
>>I though this was a rather odd thing for a transhumanist to say.
>>Don't you expect your ability to make good judgements to improve in the
>>future?
>>
>Samantha Atkins wrote:
>

>It seems to me that I have the "ability to make good judgements", at any
>rate better judgements than I appear to make by my actions, now.  It is
>not at all clear that simply a much faster brain with vastly more
>capacity and wondrous capabilities for self-examination and change will
>automatically result in better judgements in practice.
>
>- samantha

"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the
right answers come out?"

I expect ever wider brain bandwidth and channel capacity in the future.
 My brain will need upgraded sensory-perception filters for focus to
prevent GIGO.  Huge demand for custom focus algorithms could be
predicted concurrent with increased intracranial information
transmission rates.  Maybe for lithium too!  : )   Better judgements for
short term problems (like a theatening traffic situation) will, I
believe, surely be facilitated by wider perception and faster processing
of input.  Imagine concluding a complex rational decision and executing
the optimum action in less time than my reflexes presently require.

Better judgement for long term problems would be facilitated by speedy
aquistion of a wide array of relevant viewpoints.  Having the "spare"
time to make a full paradigm shift (or two) will greatly enhance quality
extrapolation, making me seemingly clarivoyant.

I sympathize with Ben when he laments that "we cannot make good
judgements now."  Collective decision making is not strictly possible
and, even allowing the sloppy concept, it's extremely slow and fallible.
 Our last presidential election was a glaring example.  But you and I,
as individuals, certainly can make good judgements.  The trend in my
personal life has been towards better and better judgement and I would
guess it's been the same for you.  That's a good enough indication for me.