[extropy-chat] Flagrant self-promotion

pjmanney pj at pj-manney.com
Tue Nov 21 17:41:21 UTC 2006

Keith Wrote:
>It's not unknown in the US.  See the last page here:
>http://www.rickubik.com/WonderWartHog.html

Hmmmm... Indeed...  But I would say they are using the word 'root' in the more traditional usage, not as in sexual intercourse, but as in digging around, like a pig roots for truffles.  It's appropriate in this case!

I had never heard of the phrase "with benefits" before, but my Kiwi friend has told me that "friends with benefits" it means people with whom you have sex with no emotional attachments.  We Yanks would call them 'fuck buddies.'

As for the flavor (or flavour?) of the antipodean 'root', I'd say Damien is correct.  It lies between 'fuck' and 'screw.'  'Root' has no emotional attachment to it, either.  It's all about 'the hole and the heartbeat' to quote Kiwi Gal (those kiwi gals are pretty earthy themselves).

But Damien's title, which is the punch line to a failed pick-up joke, translates in Yankese thus:

Guy sits down at a bar next to an attractive gal. Gestures to her empty glass.

Guy: Wanna drink?

Gal looks him over.

Gal: Drop dead.

Guy stares at her for a beat.

Guy: Wanna fuck?

And that joke is about as old as Methuselah.  So my ultimate answer is "fuck."

PJ