[extropy-chat] LA Times article on hallucinogens

Ben Goertzel ben at goertzel.org
Tue Nov 21 18:09:53 UTC 2006

Hi,

> I think you mistook my point.  Also it may help you to know that I am
> speaking from personal experience as well as being acquainted with a
> substantial amount of the literature.
>
> The drugs certainly do induce powerful effects.  However, my point was
> that it is the *experience*, rather than the chemicals, that provides
> the lasting results.

That is definitely true...

However, I would suggest that the lasting experience induced by
psychedelics is often quite qualitatively different from the lasting
experience induced by the other things you cited...

> My point may be clearest with regard to LSD which is metabolized to
> undetectable levels with a few hours.  The secondary effects (levels of
> neurotransmitters for example) may be detectable for a few days.  The
> psychological effects, similar to those resulting from other experiences
> that "shock" one out of rut, can last a lifetime.

What I question is how similar the lasting psychological effects of
psychedelics really are to the lasting psychological effects of other
experiences that "shock one out of a rut" ...

Obviously there are some commonalities, perhaps some interesting ones,
but I wonder if the most interesting and valuable aspects of the
lasting effects of psychedelics are NOT in the class of
commonalities...

-- Ben