[extropy-chat] [wta-talk] LA Times article on hallucinogens

Ben Goertzel ben at goertzel.org
Tue Nov 21 19:53:41 UTC 2006

Well, another well-known fact about psychedelics is that the effect is
highly variant, depending on the individual, their state of mind, and
the circumstances they take it in...

This is not really so surprising; something comparable could be said
about a lot of other life experiences, e.g. meditation or marriage or
sex....

"Sex ... hmmm .. yeah, I tried that once for a few minutes ... it was
OK, but I don't see what the fuss is all about... ultimately all it
did was get my sister mad at me... ;-p" ...

"Meditation ... hmmm ... yah, I sat there and stared at the wall for a
while ... just got bored ... guess those Zen masters are all fulla
shit, yep..."  ;-)

Seriously: There is a lot of junk written about psychedelic
experience, and there is a dearth of serious scientific evaluation due
mainly to legal reasons.

And, as a radical transhumanist, I don't find the tweaking of the
current human brain with chemicals to be a maximally interesting
pursuit.  More interesting to go beyond the human brain entirely.

However, there is no doubt in my mind that psychedelics have the
capability to enable human minds to undergo fundamental positive
transformations involving profound insights.  They also have the
capability to drive people nuts, and to bore people or provide people
with shallow entertainment...

They are very crude tools, with a diversity of effects.  One day
someone may create precision psychedelics (hey! there's a nice company
name ;-) but I'm more acutely looking forward to the obsolescence of
the human brain altogether, which will obviously give rise to far more
interesting opportunities for fundamental transformation...

-- BenG