[extropy-chat] MISSING: Full Coverage of Max and ExI in Wikipedia's Transhumanism

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 19:55:41 UTC 2006

On 11/28/06, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:
> Interested in the reference to Dante, that I was not aware of, I did a
> quick research:
>
> Trasumanar significar per verba
> non si poria; però l'essemplo basti
> a cui esperienza grazia serba.
>
>         To represent transhumanise in words
> Impossible were; the example, then, suffice
> Him for whom Grace the experience reserves.
>
> (Paradise, I)
> http://dante.ilt.columbia.edu/comedy/

Dante is referenced in the Extropy FAQ:
<http://www.extropy.org/faq.htm>

Of course Dante was not referring to what we mean by modern transhumanism.
He was talking about a transcendental experience of God.

A better translation of that verse is:
The passing beyond humanity may not be set forth in words: therefore,
let the example suffice any for whom grace reserves that experience.

For a detailed analysis, see:
<http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/rashoaf/currency/four.html>

BillK