[extropy-chat] Rational thinking was Movie review- (2)

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 07:27:32 UTC 2006

On 29/11/06, Keith Henson <hkhenson at rogers.com> wrote:
> Like everyone on this list, I value rational thoughts.  But it is obvious
> this is a minority viewpoint for the population in general.
>
> Why?

- Rational thinking is hard (later evolutionarily than instinct, more
complex). It takes longer. So more cost.
- The difference between rational thinking and "gut feel" is only
apparent when they diverge (non-zero difference).
- Unless you train yourself not to, you will feel bad when you choose
a rational approach over an intuitive one when there is a non-trivial
difference, by definition.
- So rational thought is for most people difficult and acting on it
makes them feel bad. I think many people's intuitive morality is based
on how they feel about things, so in fact they may also come to view
going with a rational choice over gut instinct as morally wrong
(because it "feels wrong").

This makes me think of the Kiersey typology T(hinking)/F(eeling)
dimension. The former value rational thought, the latter value
feelings/instincts. I also think many people in the Thinking camp are
actually ruled by gut instinct, and use their natural propensity for
reasoned thought and argument to defend and rationalize instinctive
behaviour, often unaware of this motive. But that's pure conjecture,
and the rationality of Kiersey types is suspect, so maybe ignore this
;-)

Emlyn