[extropy-chat] Resist perishing

Max More max at maxmore.com
Thu Nov 30 05:33:30 UTC 2006

A few recently-gathered quotes I liked:

The existentially determined:

“Man is perishable. That may be; but let us
perish resisting, and, if nothingness is what
awaits us, let us not act in such a way that it would be a just fate.”
-- Étienne Pivert de Senancour

The simply pithy:

“Luck is probability taken personally.”
Penn Jillette.

The perspective-shifting:

“She made me feel like a human being. That’s not
the kind of thing you forgive.”
Angel (in demon form), on Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, season two.

The downright nasty:

“I just want to find a woman who I can stand once
her mouth’s free of obstruction.”
Christian Troy, Nip/Tuck, season 2.

The practical:

As one Chinese proverb reminds us: The person who
says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

The long-term:

When Konosuke Matsushita started the Matsushita
Institute of Government and Management -- his
graduate school for people who want to go into
public service -- he explained that his vision
was to help Japanese politics become less corrupt
and more visionary. When a skeptical reporter
asked how long that would take, he said, “In my
judgment, about 400 years -- which is why it’s so
important that we start today.”

And the heretical (so I'm told):

If you talk to God, you are praying. If God talks
to you, you have schizophrenia.
Thomas Szasz

Onward!

Max