[extropy-chat] Tyranny in place

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Sun Oct 1 20:18:13 UTC 2006

On Oct 1, 2006, at 11:47, Lee Corbin wrote:

> And then someone flatly contradicted this.  (And before Joseph wrote
> someone flatly contradicted this. )Sounds like a pretty clear-cut
> question
> to me.  Would someone please admit that they were incorrect, and that
> either the bill does or does not apply to American citizens?

That's the beauty of the bill in terms of trying to stealth pass the
Bill of Rights:  it doesn't apply to American citizens. Unless
they've been declared unlawful enemy combatants by the President or
his designees, a status that you can not appeal and which has no
judicial review. Fabulous. :P

You can dig this up on the internet in a quite a few places,
including the full text of the bill. Google turned up this story as
first in the list:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6167856

Please note, before making snide comments about NPR's coverage, that
a -White House lawyer-  flat out says that the President intends to
use this against American citizens. Of course, the appropriate weasel
words about "higher standards" are in there (which probably means
'more secrecy'), but the statement is there: the administration is
prepared to violate the Constitution.

  I've given up hoping for impeachment. Most of our Congresscritters
are too corrupt and too stupid.  At this point, I can only hope that
some civic minded intern will give him a blowjob so we can get rid of
him. :)

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein