[extropy-chat] Tyranny in place

Joseph Bloch transhumanist at goldenfuture.net
Wed Oct 4 01:41:06 UTC 2006

Oh, I've read it, and others like it.

I still dismiss it.

In regards to the first point, which is the most potentially damning in
an objective sense, I can speak as an expert in the field, being Manager
of Election Polling for one of the largest (and most accurate in the
2004 election cycle) public opinion polling companies in the country.
The argument that exit polls in 2004 bespoke of any wrongdoing is
completely inaccurate. It completely misses the point of what exit polls
are supposed to do; not predict winners and losers, but give insight
into the characteristics of the supporters of each candidate. Indeed,
the man in charge of the exit polling in 2004 made a spectacularly
public mia culpa at an AAPOR conference, where he admitted that the exit
polls were dead wrong. See:
http://www.mysterypollster.com/main/2005/05/aapor_exit_poll.html

The rest I dismiss as the same sort of partisan wrangling that one sees
in any election. I can put forth accusations of Democrats bussing in
homeless people into Ohio, and bribing them to vote Democratic. I can
cite instances where military personnel (who traditionally vote more
Republican than Democratic) were systematically denied their vote in
places controlled by Democratic operatives. Ad nauseum. It is the usual
partisan nonsense, and one sees that particular Medusa's head raised
after every election, where the losing side cannot possibly believe that
they couldn't have _really_ lost.

If you persist in such feelings, though, you might find this of use:

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

Quite done with this particular conversation.

Joseph