[extropy-chat] Tyranny in place (resend 1)

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Wed Oct 4 03:56:11 UTC 2006

At 07:06 PM 10/3/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Keith Henson wrote:

snip

> >And though there was lots of noise about it, and fighting around the edges,
> >in the post WWII years USSR (with its expansionist communist memes) never
> >attacked.  I think I know the reason.  Anyone else want to state it?
> >

>Hitler beat him to it. Stalin would've invaded Germany within months if
>not sooner.
>
>See Viktor Suvorov, "Who was Planning to Attack Whom in June 1941,
>Hitler or Stalin?" /Journal of the Royal United Services Institute/
>(June 1985), and /Icebreaker: Who Started the Second World War/ (London:
>1990).

You utterly miss the point.  The reason the USSR didn't go to war was that
easy birth control (mostly abortion) kept the population growth in
reasonable bounds--even given poor economic growth.

> >>Islamist totalitarianism is no different in its goal and broad form than
> >>either Naziism or Soviet Communism. It seeks global domination, and does
> >>through through the totalitarian control of the populace (in this
> >>specific case, that control is achieved through politico-religious,
> >>rather than purely political ideology).
> >>
> >Ok.  Why is this happening *now* rather than say 40 years ago?  I.e., what
> >has changed?
> >
>I am rather embarassed that it needs to be spelled out. The USSR
>collapsed, the Cold War ended, the threat of nuclear annihilation
>(temporarily) was withdrawn, and the dampening effect of the global
>quasi-military/political/economic struggle between communism and
>capitalsm was removed.

Fluff.  The real problem is the growth of the Islamic population without
much economic growth.

Keith Henson