[extropy-chat] Fools building AIs (was: Tyranny in place)

Olie Lamb neomorphy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 02:10:19 UTC 2006

Oh, that was comic gold.  *Snork*

Just one point, tho:

On 10/5/06, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience at pobox.com> wrote:

> No Sharia zombie could get one tenth of the way to independently
> discovering how to build and shape an AGI, and still remain a Sharia
> zombie.

The key word there being _independent_

Otherwise, I wouldn't share quite so much... uh... "optimism".

The emergence fairy might not do much with raw data, but I can't prove that
{AGI can't be built from lots of separate (incomplete) tools/narrow AI bits
/ other stuff}, and that an idiot with only dodgy rationality might try to
do just that.  Possibly not a problem for now, but maybe a problem in a
decade or several.

That's the idiot-at-Google.Inc scenario that I worry about.

--Olie