[extropy-chat] Wireheading

Alex Ramonsky alex at ramonsky.com
Thu Oct 5 19:47:42 UTC 2006

Anders Sandberg wrote:

> do you think your anhedonia was due
>to dopaminergic receptor changes or just regression towards the mean?

There was a bit too much 'teeter-totter' for it to be an homeostasis
attempt -I actually got physical motor problems too for the first couple
days. After that everything was just 'flat' -there was no depression,
but no inspiration either -an advert for the local window cleaner was
just as interesting as New Scientist magazine or a good novel. I ate the
entire contents of my fridge based on 'best-before' dates as I had no
idea what I'd prefer to eat, and couldn't find any aesthetic difference
between Mozart, Mendelsohn or Marilyn Manson.

>I have the feeling that preventing downregulation or upregulation would be
>pretty pharmacologically useful, anybody know how well we have learned to
>control such functions?

Well if 'we' means 'the scientific community' I have no idea. If 'we'
means the neurohackers community there are various approaches including
using biofeedback, acetylcholinesterase inhibitors and 'pacing' [you
take serotonin on the way up, for a slower takeoff and softer landing].
A lot seems to depend on sleep regulation too. Ha! Discipline!  :  )
Best,
AR