[extropy-chat] TRENDS: Email is so yesterday

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Oct 6 06:39:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 09:44:47AM +0930, Emlyn wrote:

> That's why I use gmail. I don't want to be trapped by a corporate
> email account ever again. I redirect everything into my gmail, and my

You've only swapped one corporate jail for another. (And one with
a company that has a history of playing fast and loose with privacy).

If you want email done right, you have to do it yourself.
There might be no IM/mail integration, but there are open
source solutions you can run on your own servers.

So is http://www.zimbra.com/products/hosted_demo.php

> pittance to ensure that my email was going to stick around into the
> long term, or at least have an archiving mechanism to give me some
> insurance. But the app is so good, I'm willing to keep taking that
> chance.

My main beef with Google is surrendering privacy. It's the
one-stop shop for any TLA on the information superhighway.
And anyone who trusts a corporation with anything not related
to maximizing revenue is walking on very thin ice.