[extropy-chat] Intellectual influence

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Tue Oct 10 10:08:57 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 00:21 +0200, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> I didn't know the Big W had that feature, and now I'm itching to try. Just
> simple pattern matching in a python script and I could make a crawler to
> harvest the graph. I just have to figure out the best way of download a
> copy of the Wikipedia to play with locally. Anybody who has done it?

http://download.wikimedia.org/
I haven't actually tried it but I'm assuming it's the same file as what
the human knowledge compression people (http://prize.hutter1.net/) are
supplying, with the latter just being truncated to the first hundred
megs. If it is, it's an easily understandable xml file. Whole thing
doesn't seem that big either if you restrict to current articles (2.8
gigs compressed for the english version).