[extropy-chat] Intellectual influence

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Tue Oct 10 19:50:39 UTC 2006

Neil H. wrote:
> Oh yes, certainly. However, the sheer quantity of information available
> may
> result in some interesting things.

Exactly. Huge datasets are self-correcting in an interesting manner.

I just went through some of the entries by hand to get a "feel" for the
graph, and I think the main problem is that a lot of the important
philosophers do not have the right templates or categories. So right now
one either has to do it more or less by hand, or use links in the body of
the articles. I haven't done anything with the subgraph I extracted, but
it seems it branches out much more towards modern philosophers as well as
mentions many truly old presocratics. Interesting bias.

> On another side note, it might be fun to try clustering everything in the
> categories and subcategories for
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Transhumanism

Yummy. Hmm, read boring philosophy papers for the friday meeting or play
with Wikipedia?

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics