[extropy-chat] Probability of identity

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 00:31:03 UTC 2006

On 10/10/06, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:

> Self-preservation, while naturally a strong attractor in the goal
> systems of evolved agents, does not necessarily override all other
> goals.

In fairness he mightn't necessarily be claiming it should. I did say suppose
for the sake of the thought experiment that the subject's motives are purely
selfish; in practice one would assign strong negative utility to 999 people
being tortured even if none of those people was oneself, but I'm looking at
it from the self viewpoint to try to get at the paradox that appears to cast
doubt on the philosophical explanation of how we can make predictions in an
infinite universe.