[extropy-chat] Transhuman warning signs

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 01:18:37 UTC 2006

http://www.aleph.se/andart/archives/2006/10/warning_signs_for_tomorrow.html

http://www.aleph.se/andart/archives/2006/10/colorful_academic_genealogies.html
> - maybe we should make a similar kind of graph for
> transhumanism?)

The signs are rather amusing. The philosophical
phylogeny is rather interesting as well. Although I
was surprised by a few branches that seemed to end
prematurely. For example, Einstein and Kepler. Did
they not influence any who came after them? I am
certain that Newton was influenced by Kepler and
Kepler's laws fare better under general relativity
than Newton's.

Also you have Daoism as its own little island yet Lao
Tzu was a descendent of Confucius whose non-anglicized
name was Kung Fu Tzu. You have him embedded amongst
the Western thinkers, without acknowledging his
influence on his own grandchildren which is kind of
odd.

Furthermore, I seemed to have missed any reference to
the Stoics like Aurelius. Were they not as influential
as other Greek/Roman philosophers?

This is of course nit-picking on my part as the
concept of a philosophical phylogeny itself is very
original and praiseworthy. :) I would be interested in
something similar for the sciences and even religion.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much."

- P. T. Barnum