[extropy-chat] Probability of identity

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Thu Oct 12 00:58:39 UTC 2006

On 10/10/2006, Russell Wallace wrote:
>Satan [says] ... "I run off a copy of you. ... atom by atom, neuron
>by neuron, symmetrically, with thread of consciousness unbroken
>throughout, such that there will be two of you at the end and
>neither objectively nor subjectively will it be possible to tell
>which is the original and which is the copy ... Then I will let one
>copy go free, but similarly multiply the other into 999. And then I
>will take all 999 to hell" ... there's a 50% probability that I just
>get to go free. ... But. .. There will be 1 copy of me free, and 999
>undergoing horrible torture. There will be no objective fact of the
>matter as to what the copying sequence was. The only objective fact
>will be that 0.1% of my instances will be free and 99.9% will be
>tortured. Therefore I should estimate a 99.9% probability that I'll
>be tortured. ... I'm assuming for the sake of the thought experiment
>that you're Homo economicus, only concerned about what you
>personally will experience, ...To us patternists, the second line of
>reasoning seems correct; 1 copy of our pattern is free and 999
>copies are being tortured. ... But intuitively the threadist view
>seems correct here! There must be a 50% probability on the first
>copy that I'll go free. Once I'm subjectively experiencing myself as
>being free, how can it then make any difference how many copies of
>the tortured pattern are made? I can't suddenly find myself yanked
>into Satan's classroom just because more copies outside my light
>cone were made, can I?

I'm not sure what exactly the terms "threadist" or "patternist" mean,
but it seems to me that the question you ask is well posed, and that
the answer is 50%, for the reason you give.   This is a case of
indexical uncertainty, and rational beliefs under uncertainty simply
do not need to be uniform distributions.   That is, you can know
everything there is to know about the physical work, and yet you can
be subjectively uncertain about which person in that world you
are.   Such subjective beliefs are not arbitrary - there is a correct
best belief, and the other beliefs are less than best.   The correct
beliefs will show themselves, for example, in the history any one
person will see relating the beliefs he had and the actual
frequencies he observed.  For most people and long histories, the
actual frequency seen should be pretty close to the subject belief
held, when that belief is correct.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323