[extropy-chat] Clamping down email server

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Sat Oct 14 23:19:11 UTC 2006

I've been sending and receiving my email through my hosted FreeBSD
server for years, fairly smoothly. Of late I've been getting
thousands of messages a day purportedly from other mail servers,
rejecting email attributed to my domain, viz., that uses a random
address like jkkqrlaz at unreasonable.com.

Meanwhile, there are signs that some email I've originated is not
getting to its destination, suggesting that it's being blocked along the way.

I've checked a couple of blacklist sites, and not found my domain or
its IP address listed, and confirmed that sendmail is using POP Auth.

Could someone point me to a straight-forward procedure for clamping
down my email server, seeing if it's on any blacklists, and restoring
its good name?

I plan to switch soon to a new web host, where I figured I'd rely on
postfix, but I need email fully functional right away.

-- David Lubkin.