[extropy-chat] Indexical Uncertainty

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Tue Oct 17 02:38:03 UTC 2006

At 07:55 PM 10/16/2006, Russell Wallace wrote:
>I was just following Lee's notation.   A better name might be "Index#2923".
>But it is more about minds than bodies.   You know you are a mind, but you
>might not know which body that corresponds to.
>
>To see why it doesn't make sense to say "I might not be me",
>consider that fundamentally there is nothing ontologically
>privileged about one's past and future selves as opposed to other
>people. Do you think it makes sense to ask "why am I currently my
>current self as opposed to my 10 year old self or my 70 year old self?"

I think I agree to your claim about lack of privilege.   Whether it
makes sense to ask "why" depends on more details, but it can make
sense to ask which of these creatures you are, if you are
uncertain.  And it could make sense to ask which of them will
remember being you, or which ones you remember being.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323