[extropy-chat] high tech birds

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 06:20:54 UTC 2006

--- Russell Wallace <russell.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:

> At a guess the keas were just hoping the human would
> expire of his own
> accord so they could have first dibs on the carrion.

Once while taking my trash out into the back alley, I
had a large very stale dinner roll narrowly miss my
noggin and hit the pavement at my feet with an
impressive crack. I immediatelly looked around and up
at all the 2nd story apartment windows, feeling
certain some rascal child or vindictive neighbor had
hurled it at me. But to my surprise, nobody was in the
alley and all the windows were shut.

Then I happened to look straight up and sitting on a
telephone wire some 60 feet above my head was a raven
with his head cocked to the side looking down at me
with one eye. From the way it was looking at me I am
quite certain that it had been hoping to trade a stale
biscuit for some warm unconcious not-quite-carrion.

I was rather impressed by this feat of bird
intelligence but also just a little disturbed.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much."

- P. T. Barnum