[extropy-chat] "Artificial" Womb

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 20:52:34 UTC 2006

Hi Eugen,

  I was mostly thinking in terms of a safeguard against a relatively nearer-term existential risk (say, shortly after MNT but still before AGI) where this technology could be incorporated into a self-sustaining space colony which could maintained by a skeleton crew until the remaining dangers on Earth or wherever could be mitigated (hopefully). For example, the sperm and eggs could remain frozen in liquid nitrogen (essentially indefinitely) and the LN2 could in turn be maintained by the coldness of space (unless I am mistaken).

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
  On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 12:01:13PM -0700, A B wrote:

> In cases where rapid human re-population was necessary eg. deep space
> colonization, imminent existential disaster, etc. it would be useful
> to have the means to artificially "grow" fully developed human infants

The bottleneck is not breeding, but raising them. And if you have
robots good enough to avoid hospitalism, why at all bothering with people?

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl http://leitl.org