[extropy-chat] "Artificial" Womb

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 20 03:21:05 UTC 2006

> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] "Artificial" Womb
>
> A B wrote:
> > Does this sound about right, or am I grossly
> > oversimplifying things?

Ja, wildly oversimplifying.  The mother-baby system is unimaginably
complicated, with hormonal feedback control systems that are poorly
understood to this day.  Consider that no mammal has been gestated in an
artificial womb, living subjects upon which can be experimented freely.  We
could theoretically take a mammalian fetus out of the womb and surgically
arrange an external umbilical cord.  Of course the animal rights people
wouldn't like it one bit.  But as far as I know it has never been done.  We
are a long ways off from artificial wombs for humans methinks.