[extropy-chat] The Drake Equation and Spatial Proximity

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Mon Oct 23 19:20:15 UTC 2006

Amara D. Angelica amaraa at gmail.com :

>Regarding the Fermi paradox,
><http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=179077>
>http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=179077 and
><http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_thursday_060720.html>
>http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_thursday_060720.html have
>interesting discussions. I don't understand why it's a paradox if we've only
>explored a miniscule portion of the search space (number of stars,
>percentage of time they are observed, EIRP range, frequency range, signal
>modulation schemes, etc.), based on an unpublished study of search space I
>did a few years ago. Comments?

This essay might be useful:

http://hanson.gmu.edu/greatfilter.html

and perhaps this discussion too:

"Further Away From the Lamp-Post"
Musings on Astrobiology and the Search for Life
http://cosmicvariance.com/2006/05/24/further-away-from-the-lamp-post/

Amara G (the other one)

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario (IFSI), Roma, ITALIA