[extropy-chat] evolution / selection of cells within a single body / lifespan

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 28 02:04:54 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Ensel Sharon
> ... the "athletes paradox" as it relates to aging (how athletes produce
> more metabolism, and consume more calories, but seem to gain the same
> benefits as those practicing calorie reduction, among other things) ...

This athlete's paradox does not seem paradoxical to my understanding of how
CR improves health.  One benefit of both athleticism and CR is being thin.
If one is thin, one does not waste one's limited supply of stem cells in the
creation of useless and harmful flab, so there are more of them available
for regenerating damaged tissues and for keeping one well.