[extropy-chat] humor: evil eye

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 09:53:05 UTC 2006

--- Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> There is an ongoing unconscious conspiracy to ignore
> the role of envy in human affairs
> and as an explanation for much of human conduct.  I
> attribute this mainly to the reluctance
> by anthropologists and other sensitive people to
> criticize primitive societies, in which envy
> plays such an overpowering role.
>
> And is probably playing a vastly understated role
> even in ours.

Well I would almost say that modern consumerism is the
very institutionalization of envy and a healthy dose
of greed. If there's a conspiracy, it is the
promulgation of the myth that it is not sufficient to
have enough, one must always have MORE than ones
neighbor.

So whatever came of Spike's hypothesis regarding the
Evil Eye, the Neutral Nose, and the Righteous Rectum?
Does it match the Standard Model?

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."- Siddhartha Guatama aka Buddha.