[extropy-chat] You must be willing to give up everything

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Tue Oct 31 17:59:43 UTC 2006

Thanks BillK and Damien.

I see Robert's statement as very powerful because it highlights the very
general principle that there is no growth without change, despite
popular sentiment to the contrary.

I also agree with BillK's caveats about the misuse (overextension) of
the concept (and similar ideas from quantum physics) by "New Age" types.
Some of this misuse can be very seductive to transhumanists. For
example, the idea of unlimited *human* potential, or the apparently
quite benevolent idea that "I am becoming my greater self."

While Scientology and Avatar promise (and deliver) growth within a
limited, internal, context, they are dangerous because they restrict
growth beyond their own context.  [I know, they have polished and
emotionally persuasive arguments to the contrary.]

Buddhism, on the other hand (if you can escape the traditional
trappings), provides similar benefits of realization while insisting on
openness to the greater, external context.  L. Ron and Harry Palmer
might say (as did Buddha) that "it's not about me", but the Buddha never
insisted on secrecy and payments.

- Jef