[extropy-chat] ExtroBritannia's September event - Simon Young: Transhumanism – a new religion?

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 01:04:52 UTC 2006

On 9/1/06, estropico <estropico at gmail.com> wrote:

> [snip] ...  re: Simon Young talk ... Saturday the 30th of September 2006
> at 2pm, Conway Hall (Artists' Room) in Holborn, London. The event is free
> and everyone is welcome.

I would plead for this to be videotaped and made available on the net -- we
have enough people that could serve as Bittorrent hosts that distribution of
this should not be difficult. [1]

I was doing research in the Science Library at Harvard yesterday and was
completely floored to find a copy of "Designer Evolution" (published in
2006!) with Forewords by de Grey and Freitas sitting right next to the books
on stem cell therapies (RB 155.Y685).

Now the question I'm puzzling about is *who* donated, or suggested to the
management the purchase of, this book?  Even the largest academic library in
the world doesn't have *every* book -- particularly recent publications.

As a side note, if you have a community or school you feel warmly towards,
you might consider buying used TH books from Amazon and donating them to
those institutions.  A big piece of the problem regarding distributing "the
word" may simply be that people don't have access to the body of knowledge.

Robert

1. For those unfamiliar with Bittorrent it is Peer-2-Peer (P2P) software
which allows shared distribution of files with minimal negative impacts on
ones personal computer (in terms of CPU or network bandwidth).