[extropy-chat] cryonicist's nightmare

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Sep 4 16:08:41 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 04:35:31PM +0100, John wrote:

> It'd be interesting to see what happens to the life status of freeze dried
> people when someone is finally brought back.

This is the first time I'm hearing about lyophilizicles. Are you sure you've
not just invented them?

> At present, you're officially dead when a qualified medical individual
> believes there's no possible way to save your body - there is no finite
> 'they're dead' factor as far as I'm aware (a single thing to look for), just
> a collection of evidence that suggests it's impossible to help you.

The exact procedure varies from country to country.

> MEG scanners are the most sensitive tools for measuring neural activity, and

Why are you mentioning MEG scanners?

> they still require tens of thousands of quasi-simultaneously depolarisations
> to detect an event in the brain. So, even with one of these to check you
> dead people out, you're not 100%.

I'm not getting your meaning here.

> Once a person is actually reanimated, there will be a way to help those
> people in cryo tanks, which would therefore make them alive and any failure
> of the tanks manslaughter by neglagence - with purposeful deactivation being
> murder.

Once the legal status changes... but don't hold your breath.

> Although, I suspect the law will make an attempt to side step the whole
> issue somewhat by coming up with something in between, like "suspension",
> which grants the individual less rights than they'd otherwise have to make
> dealing with them easier.

By law, they're dead. Currently. That's all what's relevant to know. Currently.