[extropy-chat] Sustainability philosopy as a justification forexistence

scerir scerir at libero.it
Mon Sep 4 20:43:10 UTC 2006

Robert Bradbury:
> So one gets into a question, not of
> whether to kill people (erase copies),
> but how much "run time" to give them
> and when they should get to have it [4].

Days ago, trying to find something about
Spreng's 'triangle'(energy, information, time),
Google gave me a paper (not so interesting) about
an 'equation' that relates system throughput
capacity to resources, resource-sharing,
and system threads.
http://pharos.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/Dienst/Repository/2.0/Body/ncstrl.ucalgary_cs/2000-656-08/pdf
This paper may have something to do
with the sustainability metasophy.

Samantha:
> Is this a problem?  Does a butterfly need
> to justify its existence?
> How wonderful a creature we are that we have
> spare cycles to ruminate as to whether we are
> justified in simply being!

The justification for the ExIstence
reminds me of something Putman wrote
about the question of 'realism' (in math),
which (according to P.) is not the question
of the existence (of math objects) but
the question of the objectivity (of math).