[extropy-chat] Sustainability philosopy as a justification forexistence

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 4 23:45:59 UTC 2006

bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Russell Wallace
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Sustainability philosopy as a justification
forexistence

On 9/5/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

... even post singularity,
these types of questions will be answered pretty much the same as they are
now and always have been: by force...

>...And yet I don't seem to find myself increasing my "run time" by going
around to my neighbor's house and sticking a spear into him so I can take
his stuff the way my ancestors used to. Evolution does sometimes produce
progress, after all.

Ja, of course we are not yet post singularity.  Spears wouldn't be the
appropriate technology in any case, but rather something analogous to what
you see if you hit control alt delete on a windoze computer.  You see a list
of processes, most of which you didn't ask for and don't know anything
about, and are not working for you.  In a very real sense, those processes
are competing with each other for run time.  Some mysterious process in the
operating system is deciding which process gets the cycles, without
consulting you, even tho you are paying the power bill.  Some of those
processes may be viruses or inadvertently downloaded advertising.  This is
very much in line with my understanding of evolution.