[extropy-chat] Sustainability philosopy as a justification for existence

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 00:24:18 UTC 2006

On 9/5/06, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience at pobox.com> wrote:

> Sigh.  I know that reclaiming the word "evolution" is a lost cause,
> after all the abuse that's been rendered on it - but it leaves people
> with only a single mental bucket to represent two hellaciously different
> optimization processes.

Well, memetics is something of a grey area where you have selection
operating on entities which were created and modified by intelligence rather
than random mutation; "evolution" can be taken to mean selection (of
entities generated by any means) or the entire package of purely random
mutation plus selection. That said, I'm not really trying to argue for the
first usage, was merely providing a perspective plus data to back it up.

PS:  Robert Bradbury, would you *please* stop advocating murdering
> everyone you don't like?  It ain't movin' humanity forward.

Agreed.