[extropy-chat] cryonicist's nightmare

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Sep 5 06:50:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 07:28:49AM +0100, John wrote:

>    That's a thought I've had as well. There are places around there that

Remote places. Very remote places. You will notice no one builds
even data centers in Alaska. There is a reason for that.

>    can get as low as -80C - I had been wondering if it would be possible

No one cares about -80 C. We need <-150 C. -196 C is actually quite
cheap, why change it?

>    to build a big CO2 condensing plant there to liquify the excess from
>    the air (you don't want to know how much storage space you'd need if
>    it worked - although it'd still probably be cheaper than the mica dust
>    reflector idea).

You aren't talking about launching stuff into space, are you? The
risk is unacceptable, and you'll burn more cryogenic fuel that you'd
need to store, nevermind that with the costs you could buy diamond-studded
platinum dewars.

>    It would certainly help with reducing the energy loss from the
>    cryostats.

That's Just Not The Problem. The bulk of costs are elsewhere.