[extropy-chat] internet search privatizer

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Sep 6 08:34:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:52:42PM -0400, Mike Dougherty wrote:

>    My $0.02 on this problem is to return to the anonymity we had as a
>    faceless crowd.  If we all were running client software to allow open
>    relay through everyone else running the client, there would never be a
>    single point of identity.  Of course if this technique were proven
>    truly effective, it would also be illegal just to run the client.

Tor is not illegal in most jurisdictions. Of course, if you run a server
you have to be prepared to point individuals or LEOs, occasionally, to the
according FAQ entries.
"No sir, it ain't me. No sir, there aren't any logs. No sir, if there were
any, they'd still be useless. I'm sorry for the abuse, but that's just
the price we have to pay for freedom. Sorry again, and have a nice day."

Now it were to become illegal, we'd have to camouflage the traffic, use
malware to install nodes, and generally slide into borderline illegal
behaviour. So what? Rebellion is always illegal, in the eyes of the
establishment.