[extropy-chat] Sustainability philosopy as a justification for existence

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 14:14:19 UTC 2006

On 9/5/06, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at tsoft.com> wrote:

> Leave it to Robert to get everyone to delurk a while, with a
> typical incendiary post :-)

But but but... That *wasn't* intended as an incendiary post.  :-)
No, when I post something incendiary -- it will be *very* clear.
I was genuinely trying to to engage in the discussion of resource allocation
for the purpose of optimization (of lives saved, greatest complexity
achieved soonest, greatest fraction of the phase space of molecular designs
explored (and mostly discarded), greatest amount of art, music or literature
created, etc.) -- almost *anything* but more of the boring sameness on the
TV, in the political arena, in peoples lives (live, make babies, die), etc.

A seminar I took many years ago pointed out that there are only 3 things in
life --
"more", "different" and "better".

I'm trying to see whether there is any hope for "different" and particularly
"better" gaining the upper hand over "more" [1].

Robert

1. I consider the "more" addiction to be quite common in the U.S., perhaps
in the  "developed" countries in general (More SUVs, bigger houses, more
money, more of our "enemies" killed before they kill us, etc.)