[extropy-chat] the RBL racket

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Sep 11 09:48:09 UTC 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 07:54:42PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:

> Before making sweeping generalizations like the above,
> you might want to verify whether they're true.

I *know* (personally first-hand, and from many second-hand
narratives) that RBLs are inaccurate. Frequently, maliciously
so (somebody on your netblock is a spammer, the entire
netblock is in RBL in an attempt to get customers to complain
to the ISP, in order for the ISP to shut down the spammer) --
seeing a slight problem with that logic?

> You guessed it, they're not.  Many of the DNSBLs out
> there have fairly short expiry times, on the order of
> days or weeks.  A number also have no-questions-asked
> removal forms on their web sites.

Of course there are good RBLs. But there are several bad
apples, which cause no end of grief to several bystanders.
These are worse than spammers, and should share a cell
with them.