[extropy-chat] 44th mersenne prime verified

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 12 01:53:10 UTC 2006

We just got word that the 44th known Mersenne prime has been verified today.

This time the lucky exponent was 32582657.

However, 2^32582657-1 contains "only" 9,808,358 decimal digits so the
$100,000 EFF award for a 10 million digit prime is *still* up for grabs.

This is a mind-boggling cluster of Mersenne primes way up here close to, but
under, the 10 million digit mark.  Perhaps we will have a long dry spell
now, one that could go on for years, after finding five record breakers in
under three years.  Perhaps we just don't understand something fundamental
about this odd subclass of primes.  Could it be that the Mersenne primes
somehow are distributed more densely as exponents get large?  How could that
possibly be?  No way.

In any case, here is a list of the 44 known Mersenne primes, where the
second column is the exponent in the form 2^n-1:

1	2   	2^2 -1 = 3, prime
2	3	2^3 -1 = 7, prime
3	5	2^5 -1 = 31, prime
4	7	2^7 -1 = 127, prime