[extropy-chat] The Limits of "Property"

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 14:15:06 UTC 2006

On 9/14/06, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You only feel that way about the Borg because you are on the outside looking
> at the drone.  From inside that distributed computing cluster, each
> individual consciousness may be experiencing their heart's desire - or have
> aligned their concerns with the greater good of the hive mind.  We seem to
> have a natural reaction to be repulsed by the Borg archetype, though I
> believe it is a matter of perspective.  I think we need to seriously examine
> the implications here before we can start uploading ourselves into
> computronium cubes.

### I want to upload, and split off copies, as soon as possible, as
many as I can pay for, make copies that love the Borg, copies that
build the Borg out of their own minds, copies that run away from the
Borg as fast as their lightsail ships can carry them, and every shade
in between. I want to tile the Solar system, and all other systems,
with evolving copies of myself, edging out the paperclips.

There you have another existential threat to humanity: TEOTWAWKI by Rafal.

Rafal