[extropy-chat] Existential risks and CERN

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 16 06:59:26 UTC 2006

I must agree with Dr. Cox in this instance. My
confidence comes from the "oh my God particle". A
cosmic ray proton that was measured as having the
kinetic energy of a major league baseball pitch
(deadly force from a single proton? - AMAZING). If
individual protons that have the relativistic mass
(due to sheer velocity) of a major league baseball
fastball don't pose a threat, it will be a while
before I start to worry about the danger of CERN and
other particle accelerators. Of course that being
said, I wouldn't want to be hit by one, but even if I
were, I am rather certain that you all would be safe.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.cfm?c_id=325&objectid=10400645

> Dr Cox dismissed worries that by adventuring into
> the unknown and creating
> tiny black holes, the machine could even destroy the
> planet.
> "The probability is at the level of 10 to the minus
> 40," he said.

> With that number, against the probability of other
> existential risks (eg:
> Gamma-Ut Ray Mi Burst), the risk is negligible
> against the noise.
>
> Question is: are these the real chances, or are they
> skewed by cognitive
> biases?

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

-Galileo Galilei